Monday, April 20, 2009

To Gay or Not to Gay ...



Oh, boy. So Miss CA apparently lost the Miss USA title because she commented that she believes marriage should be between a man and a woman.

First of all, and I have said this before - I find it hypocritical for Christians to pinpoint homosexuality as a political battleground. Biblically speaking, homosexuality is one of many, many, many, MANY sins to which human beings fall prey. A couple of HUGE omissions I see in the Christian community are divorce and fornication. The bible states that a divorced person who re-marries is committing adultery which, biblically speaking, is punishable by death (specifically, stoning). Same for fornication. So for all those divorced and remarried Christians out there, sorry...and if you are having sex outside of marriage, sorry...here come the stones!

For the past few years the raging battle (which is now escalating) has been over homosexual couples getting married. The big P, Prop 8. (I was frankly shocked when it was approved in CA but I've no doubt it will quickly be overturned.) On this I say to the Christians: If two people want to be united in a legally recognized union and by so doing obtain the health and tax benefits afforded to heterosexual couples, why would you want to stop them? Yet I have this to say to homosexual couples who want a Judeo-Christian marriage ceremony: Read the Torah. Read the Bible. The God in these books does not like homosexuality. The Judeo-Christian religion will not recognize a gay marriage as valid.

Regarding the condemnation of sexuality - frankly, I really don't think gay people wake up and decide, "hey, I've decided I want to be gay just so I can annoy all the Christians out there!" (Well, maybe Perez Hilton does ;) I don't think I have the right to tell someone they should try to stop being gay, unless they want to become Christian and ask what the bible says. By the same token I don't think I should be encouraged to have sex with a woman (or anyone for that matter). You are what you are and you must live peacefully with your neighbor if you want to participate in society.

Additionally, as to all the "it's a sin" business, GUESS WHAT, Christians, the bible also says that ALL have sinned and ALL fall short of the glory of God. To God, your little fantasy about having an affair with that cute secretary is just as disgusting as homosexuality is to you. So can we all just get off this trying to convert each other's sexuality already and get to the part Christ came to relay - the LOVE??? How about accepting one another as we are, with whatever faults and sins we think the other has, and let God do the judging?

No comments: